02 July 2015

The Liebster Award

Sunny over at Stardust and Words nominated me for the Liebster Award. Fun! I always love these posts, because I get to do something completely different from my normal posting schedule. Thanks so much for nominating me, Sunny!

Okay, so here are the rules for the award:

1. Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
2. Answer the 10 questions given by the nominator.
3. Nominate and link 10 bloggers (with less than 200 followers).
4. Notify all the bloggers you've nominated.
5. Create 10 new questions for your nominees to answer.


1) Thanks, Sunny! You guys can go check out her awesome blog here.

2) Here are the questions:

1. What is one book or series that you think changed your life?
Harry Potter. Easy. I grew up on the movies from before I could even read, and read them all by the time I was eight. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Harry Potter isn't just a book series for me, it's a way of life. I literally can't imagine a life without Harry Potter.
Yes, I realize that is melodramatic.

2. If you were a writer, what kind of books would you want to write?
Well, I sort of am a writer: I wrote two books when I was in middle school/early high school, but I've never edited them or tried to get them published. One of those is fantasy and the other is what I guess would be called "contemporary fiction." I've also got story ideas for historical fictions, sci-fis, and more. So . . . a little bit of everything, I guess.

3. Do you have a preference of time period to read about in Historical Fiction?
I love Historical Fiction! There aren't really any periods that turn me off, because I enjoy being introduced to new areas of interest. I often begin by reading a historical fiction novel about some topic, and then wind up reading first-hand historical accounts about it to find out the real facts. Some of my favorite time periods (discovered from past forays into historical fiction!) are the early 1900s (a la the Titanic and the Romanovs) and the Middle Ages (out of every topic on the planet, I chose to write my AP English capstone project last year as a debunking of Shakespeare's depiction of Richard III).

4. What is your favorite place that you've ever been?
Wow, that's a really hard question! I've been a lot of amazing places. I really don't think I can pick a favorite, because I'll feel bad about all the ones I skipped. I took a trip to the U.K. last summer with my father, and saw some really amazing sites. Harry Potter Studios was awesome,  and the Tower of London was breathtaking. Westminster Abbey was pretty awesome too, once I got used to the fact that I was walking on dead famous people in the floor.

5. What book do you think is perfect for a rainy day?
Murder mysteries. Innocent rainfall can suddenly sound very sinister when you're reading a good Agatha Christie, and a well-placed crack of thunder adds the best kind of ambiance.

6. What genre have you just not been able to get into?
Well, I don't read horror books or erotica. Mostly because I'm disgusted by them, not because they "don't grab my attention" or something like that. 

7. What are the books you recommend to people who aren't that into reading?
Honestly, it depends on the person. How old are they? Do they hate reading or just don't care about it? What are their interests? For a younger kid who thinks reading is no fun, I would recommend something by Andrew Clements (whose books are shorter and easier to read, but have really fun premises). A few reading levels up, I would start pushing Gordon Korman's books. Up to middle and high school, I'd say the Percy Jackson books (word-of-mouth alone will make people more prone to give them a try), maybe Harry Potter if they're up for it.
These are just some very general markers, because it really depends on the person. I for one still read some of the books I recommend to elementary-school kids (who ever outgrows Gordon Korman?!), but some people are a bit more sensitive about not wanting to read below certain levels. I mostly just recommend books based on what content I think someone would find most appealing.

8. Best book of 2015 so far?
Agh, what kind of question is that?! There have been so many amazing books this year, I don't even know where to begin answering that. I just went to Goodreads and organized my "read" books by release date and checked out the 2015 books. I think I have to say that my favorites were All Fall Down by Ally Carter, The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt, Masterminds by Gordon Korman, and The Missing #8: Redeemed  by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I haven't actually reviewed Redeemed yet, and it's not out yet, but I read it last week and am still slightly in shock that it's actually over. Like, for real. No more books Missing books.

9. Last book that made you laugh? Last one that made you cry?
The last book that made me laugh was the book I just finished: The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex. That book is so hilarious! I really loved it, keep an eye out for my review in the next few weeks. As for the last book that made me cry . . . hmm. I don't actually remember! I think I may have wiped away a few tears reading the scenes in The Princess and the Foal by Stacy Greggs when Haya is mourning her mother. I'm a sucker for dead-parent books, they always make me cry.

10. What is the number one thing on your bucket list?
Huh, I don't really know. My "to-do" list is much longer than my bucket list, and I'm focusing pretty hard right now on the whole college issue. So maybe right now the biggest item on my bucket list is to go to an Ivy league school with some sort of mega financial aid package so my parents don't have to bankrupt themselves for me to go there? Other than that, I'd love to meet Taylor Swift and J.K. Rowling in person. Not necessarily at the same time.

3) I'm really not feeling up to hunting down a bunch of people to tag. I'm sorry I'm so lazy! If you want to do this tag, though, consider yourself nominated. Send me an e-mail at ireadtilldawnATgmailDOTcom and I'll put your name here. I'd love to read your answers to my questions!

4) Consider yourself notified.

5) My questions:
1. Do you judge books by their covers?
2. How do you organize your bookshelves (by title, author, height, color, etc.)?
3. What do you do when you run out of shelf-space  for new books?
4. If you have books you really hate (or just don't have room for), where do you get rid of them?
5. What's your favorite thing about book blogging?
6. Do you tell people in real life about your book blog?
7. What's your biggest advice for new(er than you) bloggers?
8. Why did you start book blogging?
9. What's your go-to place for finding out about new books?
10. What is the last book you rated five stars (or, alternatively, just really loved), and what made you like it so much?

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh thank you so much for doing this!!! i loved reading your answers. that's so cool that you're so into historical fiction, and that you've already written a couple of books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nominating me! :) Yeah, I'm a sucker for historical fiction. :P

      Delete

Join the conversation!