03 November 2015

Teaser Tuesdays: Fires of Invention by J. Scott Savage (Nov 3)

Okay, so for those of you who are new to this meme, here's how it works:

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My current read is Mysteries of Cove #1: Fires of Invention by J. Scott Savage.


Trenton Colman is a creative thirteen-year-old boy with a knack for all things mechanical. But his talents are viewed with suspicion in Cove, a steam-powered city built inside a mountain. In Cove, creativity is a crime and “invention” is a curse word.
Kallista Babbage is a repair technician and daughter of the notorious Leo Babbage, whose father died in an explosion—an event the leaders of Cove point to as an example of the danger of creativity.
Working together, Trenton and Kallista learn that Leo Babbage was developing a secret project before he perished. Following clues he left behind, they begin to assemble a strange machine that is unlike anything they’ve ever seen before. They soon discover that what they are building may threaten every truth their city is founded on—and quite possibly their very lives.
(240 pages)

Here's this week's teaser, from page 44:
Halfway back to his apartment building, Trenton paused to watch the trolley steam past. Although he'd seen i hundreds of times, he never stopped being fascinated b the gleaming pistons, spoked wheels, and most of all, the huffing and puffing engine that provided the power to pull riders and freight around the city. What he wouldn't give to dig into that engine and poke around.
Let me know what you think of the book, and check back on Friday for my review!

6 comments:

  1. I'll be interested in reading your review but I suspect you won't tell us what happens to Melly and Anny Beth. Here's my teaser: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-10B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that teaser. I think I wouldn't be able to help but watch it go by too. This sounds like a good book. I look forward to reading your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Literary Feline! Yeah, it's a pretty good book. I wouldn't call it an all-time fave, but I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Interesting premise. I hope you are enjoying the story. My YA teaser this week comes from The August 5 by Jenna Helland. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation!